Ads 468x60px

Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Why did I pay so much for college?

I ask myself this question quite often. "Why the heck do I have so much debt just from going to school?" It always comes up when I think about all the wonderful things I could be spending my student loan payments on. Then comes a long list of "what ifs" and to keep my sanity I always must conclude, "I guess it was worth it." As I slowly climb the corporate ladder I'm hoping it will get less difficult to convince myself of that.

Today I found an article titled The Lowest Earning Majors of 2011. So crossing my fingers that mine was not on the list, I checked it out. I wasn't surprised by what made the list, but I was surprised by the how high the average salaries were for these majors. Perhaps my major should be on this list...

  The Not-on-Tops
Counseling/Psychology………………………………………..$29,000
Early Childhood Education…………………………………….$36,000
Theology and Religious Vocations………………………….$38,000
Human Services and Community Organizations………..$38,000
Social Work…………………………………………………………$39,000
Drama and Theater Arts ……………………………….……..$40,000
Studio Arts………………………………………………………….$40,000
Communication Disorders Services………..……………….$40,000
Visual and Performing Arts……………………….…………..$40,000

 
"Recently, the Pew Research Center and The Chronicle of Higher Education asked Americans whether college is worth its increasingly outrageous (and outrageously increasing) price. After years of religiously swallowing the notion that a four-year degree is a good value, the majority, according to my colleague Lynn O’Shaughnessy, no longer believe. Some 57 percent say that college fails to provide students with a good return on investment." -SO I'm not crazy, I'm just part of that 57 percent!


"Watching my kids struggle with student loan debts and jobs that don’t pay a ton of dough, I’ve had my own doubts. Maybe all that money that they, my husband and I poured into higher education would have been better spent setting them up in businesses that couldn’t be outsourced to Bangladesh, like say, plumbing or time-share sales."

The only question to ask now is WHY is the cost of college "outrageously increasing"???  I'll have to get back to you on that.






0 comments:

Post a Comment