Ads 468x60px

Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Social Media and Crazy Networking

I am a social media fanatic because I talk about it everyday, I use it everyday and I learn something new about it everyday. It's one of my few obsessions at work and at home. I think it has become so popular because people love the idea of "branding" themselves. Through whatever type of social media you use, you determine how you are portrayed to your peers. You can share a lot or a little about yourself, and you will most likely only highlight the best parts of you and your life. The biggest advantage of this "brand" you create for yourself is being able to connect with others who are interesting to you and build a network of people you know.

I was reminded of the importance of your network when I read a recent article from CareerBuilder.com . It was called "Stay connected to your network without being a pest". When I read this title I got a little sinking feeling and thought, "Do I annoy the people I'm connected to online?" I immediately answered myself, "Probably."

I think there is a very fine line between networking and crazy networking. I don't know for sure if I've crossed it yet, but I don't think it's a tough thing to do. One of the tips this article shared was, "Figure out how each person uses social media and stay in contact that way. Occasionally commenting on a status, saying "Hi!" on their wall, or thanking them for posting an informative article are simple ways to stay in front of them without being obnoxious." That sounds simple enough.

My least favorite tip for not being a pest, "Don't network with enemies," is just a little too obvious. My favorite tip is- "Meet them for drinks or lunch"! How many friends or connections do you have that you have never actually met or even messaged? Would you say hi to them and have a conversation if you saw them out in public? If not I would get rid of that connection. For your network to be a real network you have to be ready and willing to reach out to them when the time comes. That's my personal tip.

0 comments:

Post a Comment